A cookie is a small text file that is stored by your browser, and allows it to remember information between web pages and browser sessions. We use a number of "first party" cookies - generated and used by the Avis website – and some "third party" cookies – generated on our site by third parties. They enable us to remember each part of your reservation as you go through the site, remember your customer details and display appropriate content based on your selected options and journey. They also help us to understand user behavior within our website, which means we can make the experience better for you.
Cookies can only store text, which is generally anonymous and usually encrypted.
Cookies are secure – they can only store information that is put there by the browser, which is information the user has entered into the browser or that is included in the page request. They cannot run code and they cannot be used to access your computer. If a website encrypts the information in the cookie, only that website can read the information.
There are two different types of cookies: Session and Persistent. They are used for different things and contain different information.
Session cookies contain information that is used within your current browser session. These cookies are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Nothing is persisted on your machine beyond the time you spend on the website.
Persistent cookies are used to hold information that is used between visits. This data allows websites to recognize that you are a returning customer and react accordingly. Persistent cookies have a lifetime value that is set by the website, which can vary between a few minutes or several years.
Our website also involves the use of tags. Tags are short pieces of code included in our website that direct the user's browser to obtain/capture information about that user, the website page or URL. This information may be used in relation to website functionality, optimisation, analytics, advertising or retargeting purposes. The use of tags on the Avis website involves the sharing of certain information about your device and your interactions with the Avis website with our third party partner(s).
Cookies are used by the website to keep your session as you progress through the website, keeping track of your reservation details and whether you've logged in. They are used to display relevant products within your journey.
Web analytics cookies, including from our partners Google and Adobe, allow us to track customer interaction within the website. This gives us valuable insights which enable us to improve the website and the products and services we offer.
We also work with partners who will write third party cookies, tags and SDKs which are then used by advertisers on other websites to give you appropriate and relevant advertisements based on your browsing history as well as device identifiers, location information, application data and usage information and installation identifiers. These cookies, tags and SDKs generally do not store personal information enabling other sites to directly identify you, they are based purely on the browsing history and other log data. Certain of these technologies may collect your email address. But this information is only used to ensure that appropriate advertisements are presented on the basis that a device might belong to a person interested in specific content but advertisers do not know who the individual is that owns or is using that device.
In addition to cookies, we use some other similar technologies as follows:
• Web Beacons: small graphic images included on our website or emails or those of third parties to provide analytics information;
• Social widgets: buttons or icons provided by third party social media networks which may collect browsing data and will be received by the third party and are controlled by the third party.
We collect information from you, directly and through third parties, in accordance with this Privacy Notice any time you contact us, interact with us in person, through our services or on third-party platforms, or use our websites, Apps, products or services. If you do not provide the information we request, we may not be able to provide our products or services to you.
• Some of the information we collect can personally identify you, including, for example, your name and contact information, birthdate, government identification, payment information, membership ID, program ID, whether you are a part of a corporate or rewards program, payment arrangements, insurance arrangements, and information related to your rentals or use of products or services we provide or enable. For example, when you make a reservation, or join one of our programs, we collect your personal information such as: your name and contact information; birthdate; driver license and other appropriate government identification; payment information, including credit or debit card information (we collect security codes when you make a payment, but we do not keep them); information to process your discounts, such as coupons, discount codes, and membership numbers or codes; and other information that may be necessary to rent you a vehicle, provide you with services, contact you about these services or verify your identity. If you participate in an insurance program through us or are involved in an accident or property damage, we may collect additional information about your insurance provider and/or coverage.
• We may record or monitor any call you make to us for quality control, to enforce our rights, or for training or similar purposes. We may collect photos and videos in some instances, such as when you choose to share them with us in connection with one of our optional membership services or on social media or when we receive a notice of a traffic violation that includes a picture or video. Our rental locations may also be equipped with cameras and/or video security surveillance systems.
• We also collect personal information about you from third parties, including information from third party travel booking channels; service providers; licensees; airlines, hotels, membership clubs, payment card companies, advertisers and other partners; from your employer; from your social media services consistent with your information sharing settings on such services; and from other third-party sources that are lawfully entitled to share your information with us.
• We may collect information about relevant health conditions when necessary to provide adaptive driving devices.
• Some of our rental vehicles are connected cars. A connected car is a vehicle equipped with features, telematics systems, on-board devices, or built-in services and technologies that are capable of collecting data about the vehicle and its use, including, for example, the vehicle’s condition, damage and accident events and records, performance, operation and diagnostic data, information on mileage, acceleration, braking, speed, fuel consumption, fuel level, tire pressure, odometer, location and direction, and other vehicle-related information (collectively, “Connected Car Data” or “Vehicle Data”). Typically, this information is associated with the vehicle only and maintained as non-personal information, as described in the Non-Personal Information section below. If we link this information to you, we will treat it as personal information.
• Use of features and built-in services and technologies in connected cars are subject to the terms and conditions posted by the vehicle manufacturer and/or the technology provider, which may include system and service limitations, warranty exclusions, limitations of liability, wireless service provider terms, and user responsibilities. Some or all of these features are turned on at all times, even when other services or other media in the vehicle are turned off. If you are unsure whether your rental vehicle is a connected car, please speak to a member of our team at the rental location or contact the Rental Station Manager. Details on the connected car features in our rental vehicles are also set out in the “Vehicle Details” section of the Rental Agreement. We cannot guarantee that a vehicle without connected car features will be available at your time of rental.
• Depending on the technology used in your rental vehicle, vehicle manufacturers and built-in services such as ‘Apple CarPlay’ or ‘OnStar’ may also collect Connected Car Data or other personal information from the vehicle pursuant to their privacy policies. For more information about this third party information collection, please refer to the Third Party Collection section below.
• We may collect information about your location from our websites, your mobile devices, and your visits to our locations. You may opt out of our collection of information about your location from mobile devices at any time by turning off transmission of geolocation data and push notifications on each of your mobile devices.
• We may also at times connect certain location-related Connected Car Data to you.
• We may also collect or transform information so that it is maintained in a form that is not linked to a particular individual, such as vehicle information that is not connected to a passenger or other aggregated, de-identified or anonymized information (“non-personal information”). This Privacy Notice does not apply to non-personal information, which we collect, use and disclose for a variety of purposes. However, any non-personal information that is linked to or combined with personal information, where permitted by law, will be treated as personal information subject to this Privacy Notice.
We use your personal information to:
• fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information, such as to create your account, process your transaction or respond to your inquiry;
• operate, maintain, and provide you with our websites, Apps, products and services;
• recognize you and remember your information when you return to our websites and services;
• verify your identity and confirm the authenticity of your identity documents;
• provide you with additional services or functionalities (for example, to facilitate contactless rentals, to provide remote lock/unlock, to remote disable engine/cancel ignition, and to automatically receive the vehicle location, odometer, fuel level and other information in connection with your rental);
• administer your rental, manage your rental records and to calculate your fees (for example, to automatically record the start of your rental, any exchange or upgrades, and the fuel or mileage usage and charges);
• communicate information regarding your reservation or rental. These communications are transactional or service related and will be sent via email, text, push notification or phone calls;
• diagnose problems, analyze trends, and assess our performances;
• provide roadside assistance;
• provide you with discounts;
• improve our operations and services;
• better understand our customers’ preferences;
• better understand how our vehicles are being used;
• tailor and personalize our services, promotions and offers to our customers, including targeted offers and ads relevant to your interests through our websites, Apps, third-party sites, or on other devices you may use;
• testing, training, research, analysis and development of our products and services;
• maintain our fleet;
• recover lost, stolen or towed rental vehicles;
• interact with you in person, through our services, via email, text message, push notification, phone calls or on third-party platforms (such as social media sites);
• provide you with, and improve, relevant marketing (including via email, direct mail, phone or text message) or offers from us and our partners, and to inform our advertising and marketing campaigns;
• run our contests, sweepstakes or promotions;
• enable third-party vehicle applications and services;
• improve road safety and reduce traffic;
• evaluate, negotiate, or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of ABG’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by ABG about consumers is among the assets transferred or is otherwise relevant to the evaluation, negotiation or conduct of the transaction.
• respond to legally binding requests from law enforcement, regulatory authorities or other third parties;
• maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our or another’s premises, property, services or other assets, including ABG vehicles, technology assets and business;
• defend, protect or enforce our rights or applicable terms of service;
• prevent fraud or the recurrence of fraud;
• assist in the event of an emergency; and
• comply with applicable law.